Saturday, December 14, 2013

hands

a couple of recent poems inspired by hands:


my hands are small


hands can do so many things
some good
some bad
my hands are small
but strong
capable instruments
wrought of flesh and bone
sometimes the makers of fine things
and themselves finely made
marked but not marred by labor
palms calloused
nails home to garden soil
knuckles scarred here and there
my hands are small
smaller than my mother's hands
though sometimes when i look at them
i see something of her hands in mine
and i'm reminded of the comfort and care her hands brought to me when i was a child
the likeness itself brings me comfort now
and makes me mindful in their use
because hands can do so many things
some good
some bad




my hand, my heart


take my hand, love
hold it gently in yours
as wings beat
as hearts beat
walk with me, love
my hand in yours
as leaves fall
as grass grows
comfort me, love
palm to palm,
fingers entwined
as sun sets
as night falls
take my hand
my hand
my heart
take my hand, love

No comments:

Post a Comment